Job Title: Museum Assistant
Location: Il Museo, Italian Cultural Centre, Vancouver.
Supervisors: Angela Clarke, Ph.D., Museum Director and Curator and Mauro Vescera, Il Centro Executive Director
Wage: $16 per hour, 30 hours a week.
Funded in part by Young Canada Works employment initiative.
Start date: Friday, 25 May, 2017
End date: Thursday, 31 August, 2017
Total Hours: 420
The purpose of the position is to create a digital archive based on photos and documents pertaining to the Italian community in Vancouver. In addition the selected candidate will assist with the creation of two major exhibitions. The first one will include collaboration with an international team of curators and the other working with scholars and curators in Vancouver. These exhibitions include digital installations.
- The successful candidate must be a full time student enrolled in the following degree programs: Museum Studies, History, Romance Languages, Linguistics, Political Science, Archives, Library Science, Communications and Media.
- Must be a Canadian citizen.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Bilingual in Italian and English is preferred but not essential
- Research experience in Canadian and Italian History would be an asset.
- Experience processing archival collections, preservation, creating access tools, photo scanning, and/or working with audiovisual or photographic materials would also be an asset.
- Must be able to work independently in a self-directed manner and as part of a team.
Description of Tasks
- Assess and prepare a basic inventory of oral history and photographic collections held at the ICC.
- Arrange and describe these collections according to archival standards and best practices.
- Assure appropriate physical housing and storage of collections, including performing basic rehousing and noting future preservation needs.
- Determine appropriate descriptive access tools for collections, such as finding aids or item-level databases.
- Assist curator with the organization of the archives storage space to appropriately house the physical collections.
- Assist with the development of exhibitions including making labels, scanning photos and exhibition installation.
- Work with an international team of curators
- Regularly report on progress to the supervising curator.
- Experience with video and video installations
Please apply in writing with a resume and cover letter. Use the subject heading: Museum Assistant
Application Deadline: May 20, 2017
Either by email to: [email protected]
Or the address below:
Dr. Angela Clarke
Italian Cultural Centre Society
3075 Slocan Street,