- Hive Tour Experience
July 13, 2018
6:00 pm - 6:45 pm
Join us for a fun, hands-on introduction to beekeeping with the Italian Cultural Centre hives during the Mercato Market with Hives for Humanity beekeepers. During this workshop, participants will:
– taste honey straight from the hive, and learn about the wax, pollen, and propolis the bees make
– get up close to the bees, see their lifecycle, understand the dynamics of the hive and watch bees at work
– learn about the biology, communication, and learn about the organization of the hive
– talk to a Hives for Humanity beekeeper about the joys and challenges of urban beekeeping
– learn about the tools and equipment needed to keep bees in the city
– learn how to support all pollinators, wild and managed
– experience the joy, wonder, and magic of bees!
This 45-minute tour is perfect for bee-lovers of all ages and is a great introduction to the practice of beekeeping. We encourage participants to set their own boundaries, so you can get hands-on or observe from a distance. Veils and equipment will be provided, light coloured long sleeves and pants are recommended. Closed toed shoes are required.
Cost: $23 (includes a small jar of honey PLUS 20% off all purchases at the Hives for Humanity booth at Mercato!)
Location: Mercato market, meet at the Hives for Humanity booth at 6 pm.