|Art of plant-based cheese making (Jun 7-14-28)show details +||$160.00 (CAD)||Sold Out|
Sale Dates- The dates when this option is available for purchase.
Goes On Sale: May 10, 2018 10:13 am
Sales End: June 6, 2018 11:55 pm
Access- This option allows access to the following dates and times.
- Art of plant-based cheese making
June 28, 2018
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Join Chef Karen McAthy, founder of Blue Heron, and author of The Art of Plant-based Cheesemaking in learning how to make cultured, fresh, vegan cheese! This three-class course (held over three days), is homework driven, focused on getting students to make their own vegan cheeses from growing cultures to easy aging techniques!
Students will learn :
- About lacto-fermentation and culturing (differences, how it works, etc)
- The role of microbes in creating flavor and texture in plant-based cheesemaking
- The difference between cultured and non-cultured plant-based cheeses, and the in-between
- How to start and grow some key plant-based lactic acid cultures safe for use at home
- How to choose a plant-based medium for cheese making and what to think about when choosing
- 3 base/core cheese recipes
- Basic aging method for at home plant-based cheesemaking
- Review of key equipment, variables affecting cheesemaking, historical context of cheesemaking as a practice
The course is homework driven, with lecture/demo component. Students are asked to bring their ‘assignments’ back to the second and third classes for review, discussion, and comparison.
Students are asked to bring a notebook.
Key starter cultures are included in the course price, and a Blue Heron Cheese tasting concludes the last day of the course. Each course day, Chef Karen will provide a cheesy snack, a fun way to highlight different ways vegan cheeses can be used.
The last day of the course concludes with a plant-based cheese tasting of Blue Heron cheeses along with any of the cheeses students made and wish to share.
Tickets for this class are $160 for a series of 3 sessions. Tickets sale ends the day before.
No cash refunds are available for the cultural events, workshop & classes. With at least 7 days’ notice, we would be happy to provide a credit to use towards other workshops and selected Il Centro initiatives (please inquire). If you give us less than 7 days’ notice, we may be able to issue a credit if we can fill your seat from our waiting list, but there is no guarantee. No credit will be issued for no-shows: whether you are able to attend or not, the instructor still needs to be fairly compensated. All tickets are 100% transferable at any time – just provide your receipt to the person attending or let us know their name by phone or email.