Il Centro is seeking an exemplary Head Chef to lead our catering kitchen staff. You will be a positive leader capable of attracting, mentoring, training, and retaining team members. You are able to jump into any role in the kitchen that needs your support. You are a creative and active teacher who can develop and instruct staff with recipes, cooking techniques, and oversee efficient high-quality food preparation and service. You are capable of the oversight of ordering and receiving food supplies. You are versatile in the creation of special dishes and menus for special events. Il Centro is known for the delivery of high quality, cost-effective dishes served promptly to our guests. You will need to have a high standard of quality, be creative and service-oriented at every level. A calm demeanor in a stressful environment is a must.
Core Responsibilities & Duties
• Trains, supervises, motivates, and works with kitchen staff to prepare, cook and present quality food products.
• Responsible for the supervision of the kitchen and banquet staff while working in and around the kitchen area.
• Oversees and helps in plate presentation and the quality of food presentation.
• Responsible for food ordering and just in time inventory control and keeping food costs within budget.
• Prepares to staff schedules for kitchen preparation and keeps the staffing costs within budget.
• Maintains the kitchen in a clean and safe environment by scheduling appropriate cleaning and maintenance of equipment.
• Excellent communication skills needed to work with management and fellow team members.
• Develop, recommends, and implement menu improvements
• Ensure a safe work environment and compliance with the health department regulations, training and motivating the kitchen team members.
• Seek out and investigate new culinary trends.
• Must be present and onsite for all catered events both in the Trattoria and the Ballroom
• Work a variety of shifts, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
• Be active in problem-solving.
• Able to work with a variety of people.
• Ensure all food deliveries are counted, inspected for quality
• Ensure all product invoices are correct and match the products delivered
• Provide a monthly inventory of products – as noted on our inventory sheets
• Maintains a keen eye on food and labor costs for creating each food serving
Other Significant Duties
• Manages and directs, kitchen and banquet staff while working in the kitchen
• Controls and analyses labor and food costs on an on-going basis: Daily, weekly
• Responsible for quality control of production and presentation of meal prep and service. (should this be in the core responsibilities)
• Strive for complete guest satisfaction
• Maintain the kitchen in proper order for cleanliness, sanitation, and hygiene
• Responsible for the production, preparation, and presentation of all food items, always ensuring the highest quality
• Ensure the purchase of food products is the correct quantity and quality and cost effective by comparative sourcing on an ongoing basis
• Determines the minimum and maximum food par stocks
• Receives all food item orders to ensure they meet quality standards –
• Assist in budget preparation of operational expenditures including new equipment needed.
• Ensuring all catering supplies is are available for service i.e. glasswares, flatwares, etc.
• Prepares menus and participates in the pricing strategies in consultation with the Catering Director
• Maintain an up-to-date standard recipe file for all food items
• Provide required tools, equipment, and support to all staff for the smooth execution of service delivery and must be willing and able to performs kitchen and/or food-related duties and community-based special projects as assigned by the Catering Director
• Kitchen Cleanliness & preventative Maintenance schedules for all kitchen and catering related equipment
• Prepares food items to be tasted for menu consideration for the Catering
• Prepares food tastings when required for clients
JOB SPECIFICATION (MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS)
Education: 2+ years Associate degree in culinary education
Total work experience in any area: 5+ years of experience in a high-volume time-limited back-of-house management position.
Experience similar or related field: Significant experience as a chef, in addition to experience as a sous chef or line cook
• Excellent communication skills.
• Advanced knowledge of food profession principles and practices
• Outstanding cooking skills.
• Excellent team leadership and management skills
• Creative culinary capabilities a must
• An ability to create menus that are innovative and profitable.
• A deep understanding of ingredients and product
• An extensive understanding of various cooking techniques
• The capacity to work under extreme pressure
The ability to delegate tasks.